2017 was the year we doubled down on Progressive Web Applications and we did that by concentrating our efforts on building more PWA themes for our WordPress Mobile Pack plugin and also launching 3 new related WordPress plugins: Progressive Web Apps, PWACommerce and WP AMP Themes.
As for our flagship product, WordPress Mobile Pack, here are some 2017 numbers:
- 6 major releases: January, March, April, May, August and September.
- ~100,000 downloads
- v2.0 has 35,3% active installs, v3.0+ has 9,7% active installs; there’s also a legacy of 31,8% active installs still on v1.0+
- Approximately 2,500 support conversation over e-mail, Intercom.io (the customer support system we use), via GitHub or WordPress public repositories
- A total of 23 posts on our blog
- Our tweets earned 180,000 impressions last year
We’re also proud that we had the opportunity to give talks at WordCamp Bucharest and Athens, evangelizing Progressive Web Apps in the WordPress community. You can watch below the “Building an E-commerce Progressive Web App with React and WooCommerce” presentation, delivered by our CTO, Alexandra Anghel:
In terms of technology advancements, a big question mark last year gravitated around Apple and the support of service workers on Safari. With the introduction of Safari Technology Preview 46 for macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra that seems to be heading in the right direction.
Service workers could find their way onto iOS devices in 2018, opening up the web for a whole new range of possibilities. Already available on Android, some sites have begun to take advantage of service workers to provide browser-based push notifications.
As far as we’re concerned, we’re dedicated to helping developers out there built awesome Progressive Web Applications, whether that’s on top of a popular CMS (WordPress, Drupal or Joomla), eCommerce platforms (WooCommerce, Magento or Shopify) or any other 3rd party API and with that in mind we’ve already planned some interesting partnership throughout 2018. More to come soon.
Here’s to a productive 2018 for all of us! 💪